Compliance News Flash
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP is pleased to provide you with the Compliance News Flash. This update is your source for timely background screening and immigration-related news that is important to your organization.
1. The Trump Administration announced this week that it is rescinding the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. DACA is a program that allows certain individuals who came to the United States as children, have continuously resided in the United States, and are in school, graduated from high school or obtained a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the military, to apply for benefits. These benefits include deferral of deportation and work authorization. California and Texas have the highest numbers of DACA beneficiaries in the country, followed by New York, Illinois, and Florida. The program has not been without controversy, and recently the attorneys general of Texas and several other states threatened to initiate litigation in federal court if the Administration did not rescind the program. On September 5th Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that DACA is being rescinded and that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will begin a phasing out of the program.
To read more about what this means for employers check out my blog posting.
2. Former Chairwoman of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Edith Ramirez is joining Hogan Lovells. Some of you may recall that another FTC Commissioner, Julie Brill, was also at Hogan Lovells before leaving to join Microsoft.
3. On September 7 the House Financial Services Committee held a hearing entitled ““Legislative Proposals for a More Efficient Federal Financial Regulatory Regime,” which featured the FCRA Liability Harmonization Act (H.R. 2359) introduced by Rep. Loudermilk. I have previously written about H.R. 2359, which would place caps on monetary damages under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Read more by clicking here.
4. Join me next week on September 12 for a free webinar on “What You Need to Know Now about the Form I-9 and Immigration Enforcement” sponsored by SHRM. Click here to register. You do not need to be a SHRM member to register.
5. Join me next week on September 13 for a free webinar on “Ban the Box – Live Examples” where I will discuss Fair Chance Hiring laws (aka Ban the Box ordinances) and how they are playing out in jurisdictions around the country and their impact on employee hiring and onboarding. The webinar is sponsored by the ClearStar Academy. Click here to register.
If you have any questions or need assistance on any point raised in this Compliance News Flash, please contact Montserrat Miller.